Reports To: Coordinator of Supportive Housing (Fairhaven)
Term: Permanent Full-Time
Hours: Sunday to Thursday 12:00am to 8:00am with ½ hour paid break.
Wage Range: $19.00 to $23.00 commensurate with experience.
Permanent Full-Time/Temporary Full-Time (over three months) who work more than 30 hours per week are eligible for three weeks paid vacation in the first year and they may be taken after a successful probationary period. In the second year, this entitlement increases to four weeks. In the fifth year, the entitlement increases to five weeks. Each year after five years the entitlement is five weeks plus one day for every subsequent year to a maximum of six weeks. Unless otherwise negotiated. Permanent Part-Time/Temporary Part-Time employees (over 22.5 hours per week on contracts more than three months) vacation entitlements accrue each payroll according to Employment Standards Act BC (as amended). Casual/On-Call/Permanent Part-Time/Temporary Part-Time employees (under 22.5 hours per week or on contracts less than three months) vacation entitlements are paid out each payroll according to Employment Standards Act BC (as amended).
Permanent Full-Time employees are eligible for full health benefits (minimum 30 hours per week). Temporary Full-Time employees for a term longer than three months are eligible for full health benefits (minimum 30 hours per week). These hours can be fulfilled through a variety of permanent positions. Permanent Full-Time and Permanent Part-Time employees have access to the Wellness Plan benefit. All employees have access to two paid culturally sensitive days, Annual Retreats, Training, and ASK Staff Social Events.
Who is the ASK Wellness Society? The ASK Wellness Society is a not for profit organization that supports individuals within the BC Region with opportunities and the resources to change their current situation. It’s about reaching out to those people who are homeless and battling addictions, helping them find housing and medical care, addressing their addictions, stabilizing mental health issues and, ultimately, providing them with the skills to re-enter the work force. The ASK Wellness Society administers an unconditional sense of hope to those who are convinced they are incapable of ever achieving a stable and meaningful life.
Purpose and Function:
To provide life skills services to Program Participants who are at-risk of homelessness in our community. Promote/mentor healthy, independent living skills to Program Participants in order for them to achieve their goals and live as independently as possible. Service delivery is based on a client centered, non-judgmental perspective.
- Encourage and support Program Participants to live as fully and independently as possible within the local community, providing information, emotional, organizational and practical support and training as appropriate;
- Contribute to the protection of Program Participants from abuse, and support Participants when they are in distress;
- Encourage and motivate Program Participants to develop a sense of their own identity, purpose and self-esteem;
- Work closely with referral agencies (i.e., CMHA, IHA, etc.);
- Actively seek the views of Program Participants and involve them in decision-making to improve their services and accommodations;
- Monitor emergencies that take place such as medical or mental health assistance and complete necessary incident reports;
- When necessary, be trained to be the first to respond to an overdose situation with on-the-spot overdose response and support;
- Assist Fairhaven Team to complete rooms checks when required;
- When required provide additional services to other supportive housing settings;
- Be prepared to work calmly and together with your team, paramedics and police in crisis situations;
- Ensure Limitation of Service Notices are completed and current;
- Help maintain a clean and organized workspace by doing light housekeeping in the office space;
- Monitor and move along community members who are loitering in and around the property;
- Assist and encourage clients to create connections within the community by volunteering and finding employment;
- Ensure compliance with all ASK supportive standards, policies, and procedures.
- Assist team with maintaining daily log, medication log/prescriptions (ensure book is updated, all meds accounted for and follow up’s on prescriptions to ensure medication is up-to-date);
- Complete move in/move out paperwork as required by ASK Property Services Department under supervision from Coordinator of Supportive Housing (Fairhaven);
- Maintain complete documentation, statistics and records in files and on ShareVision database;
- Assist team with required verbal and written reports, case notes, letters, memoranda, and year end reports;
- Maintain files and documentation to the COA Standard;
- When requested, be a member of the COA’s Performance and Quality Improvement team in which you will encourage the organization to use data to identify areas of needed improvement and implement improvement plans in support of achieving performance targets, program goals, client satisfaction, and positive client outcomes.
Qualifications and Suitability:
- Bachelor of Social Work, Human Service Diploma or equivalent and/or experience with mental health/addiction and homelessness issues;
- Skills in mediating conflict between various interests;
- Ability to work as a team member in a case management setting involving multi-agency supports;
- Understands and maintains clientele/worker boundaries;
- Strong working knowledge of community resources;
- Excellent communication, writing, documentation and organizational skills;
- Must pass criminal record check for vulnerable sector and reference screening;
- VAT (Vulnerability Assessment Tool) training an asset;
- Mental Health First Aid, Trauma Informed Practice and ASSIST Training an asset;
- Level 1 First Aid required;
- In-house Violence Prevention, Cultural Awareness Training, and 2sLGBTQ+ Training provided;
- As clients are allowed to have pets, it is noted that this is a pet friendly environment.
Effective November 1, 2021, the Society requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by Health Canada). Full vaccination will be required before commencing employment with the Society unless a legal exemption is obtained.
The ASK Wellness Society is dedicated to promoting diversity/multiculturalism with inclusion as one of our Core Values. We are fully focused on equality and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.
The ASK Wellness Society now offers assistance from an Employment Advisor. If you self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, Métis, or Inuit) and would like assistance with the application process, job readiness, interview readiness or tips for resume and cover letter writing, send your questions via email and you will be redirected to the Employment Advisor.
Closing Date: January 23, 2022
Interview Dates: TBD
Send cover letter and resume to: Careers@askwellness.ca
Please Reference Position: Fairhaven Tenant Support Worker Sunday through Thursday Graveyards
Attention: People Experience