Program and Site Location: 24 Hour Supportive Housing, Spero
Reports To: Coordinator of Supportive Housing (Spero)
Term Permanent Full-Time (40 hours per week)
Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm with ½ hour paid break
Wage Range: $22.06 up to $25.69 based on education and related experience
The ASK Wellness Society is an Accredited not-for-profit organization. Through the generous support of funders, we assist those who are marginalized and at-risk to strengthen the communities we serve (Kamloops, Merritt, and Penticton). We provide housing and support to those who are facing homelessness/at risk of homelessness and support those who may use substances, mental health challenges, harm reduction, health education and ultimately provide the skills to re-enter the workforce.
What We Offer:
- Competitive benefits including but not limited to dental, vision, physiotherapy, massage, and fertility upon eligibility
- Municipal Pension Plan upon eligibility
- On-site training and development opportunities such as Violence Prevention, Cultural Awareness and 2SLGBTQ+ training
- A culture of equality, inclusion, and diversity including paid cultural sensitivity days
- Accidental death insurance and Wellness plan benefit
- Vacation entitlements for Part-Time and Full-Time employees
Effective November 1, 2021, the Society requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by Health Canada). Full vaccination will be required before commencing employment with the Society unless a legal exemption is obtained.
Position Summary: To provide life skills/supports to adults living with developmental disabilities while promoting healthy, independent living and vocational skills to those residing at the Spero House. The worker will oversee day to day Participant needs, case managing individuals working towards independent living and long-term housing goals and assisting Participants to remain connected to community support workers. The Life Skills Worker will also assist the individual to stay on track with their vocational plan created by the Participant. Service delivery is based on a client centered, nonjudgmental perspective.
Typical Duties Include:
Life Skill Worker Responsibilities
- Conduct Individual Case Management meetings with all Participants to ensure compliance with program agreement and mental health and addictions wellness plan.
- Liaise with the Coordinator of Spero House and applicable team members to ensure a clear and consistent plan is being adhered to.
- Provide individualized support, as needed, to multi-barriered Program Participants in need of low barrier housing and assist them in the development and adherence to a personalized wellness plan.
- Work with the Program Participants to maintain the cleanliness of their suites.
- Encourage and support Program Participants to live as fully and independently as possible within the local community by providing information, emotional, organizational, and practical support, and training as appropriate.
- Assist and encourage Program Participants to create connections within the community by volunteering and finding employment.
- Contribute to the protection of Program Participants from abuse, and support Participants when they are in distress.
- Encourage and motivate Program Participants to develop a sense of their own identity, purpose, and self-esteem.
- Work closely with referral agencies (i.e., CMHA, IHA, Friendship Centre, Brain Injury, etc.).
- Actively seek the views of Program Participants and involve them in decision-making to improve their services and accommodations.
- Monitor emergencies that take place such as medical or mental health assistance and complete necessary incident reports.
- Be prepared to work calmly and together with your team, paramedics, and police in crisis situations.
- Ensure Limitation of Service Notices are completed and current.
- Help maintain a clean and organized workspace by doing light housekeeping in the office space.
- When necessary, be trained to be the first to respond to an overdose situation with on-the-spot overdose response and support.
- Complete accurate and up to date communication/case notes.
- Maintain files and statistics as per accreditation standards.
- Complete move in/move out documentation as required by the Property Services Department.
- Work in collaboration with the Licensed Practical Nurse to ensure medication adherence and documentation.
- When requested, be a member of the Society’s Performance and Quality Improvement (PQI) team.
- Ensure compliance with all Society policies and procedures.
- Other duties which may or may not be outlined within this job description.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor of Social Work, Human Services Diploma, Support Worker/Care Aid Certificate, or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or lived experience.
- Strong ability to recognize and address difficult behaviors.
- Good communication, documentation, interpersonal and conflict management skills.
- Ability to work within a team-based environment involving multi-agency supports.
- Strong working knowledge of community resources.
- Understands and maintains professional boundaries.
- Valid driver’s license, safe driving record and reliable/appropriate transportation with business use coverage.
- Must pass an acceptable criminal record check for the vulnerable sector.
- Occupational First Aid Level 1 required.
- Readiness to complete in-house online training within the first month of employment.
- Mental Health First Aid, ASIST, and Trauma Informed Practice an asset.
How to apply: Please submit your application with a detailed cover letter and resume with the reference “Community Living Program Life Skills Worker (Spero)” to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 9:00am on May 17, 2022. Interviews set to take place on May 20, 2022, on Zoom. You may also apply directly apply online at https://askwellness.ca/careers/
The ASK Wellness Society offers assistance from an Employment Advisor. If you self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, Métis, or Inuit) and/or would like assistance with the application process, job readiness, interview readiness or tips for resume and cover letter writing, we encourage you to contact us, and you will be redirected to our Employment Advisor.
The ASK Wellness Society is dedicated to promoting diversity/multiculturalism with inclusion as one of our Core Values. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.