Job Title: Substance Abuse Counsellor
Program and Site Location: Maverick Supportive Recovery, 1250 Hillside Court
Reports To: Director of Outreach and Clinical Services
Term: Permanent Full-Time (30 hours per week)
Hours: Flexible Hours/Schedule to be determined
Wage Range: Commensurate based on education and related experience.
The ASK Wellness Society is an Accredited not-for-profit organization. Through the generous support of funders, we assist those who are marginalized and at-risk to strengthen the communities we serve (Kamloops, Merritt, and Penticton). We provide housing and support to those who are facing homelessness/at risk of homelessness and support those who may use substances, mental health challenges, harm reduction, health education and ultimately provide the skills to re-enter the workforce.
What We Offer:
- Competitive benefits including but not limited to dental, vision, physiotherapy, massage, and fertility upon eligibility
- Municipal Pension Plan upon eligibility
- On-site training and development opportunities such as Violence Prevention, Cultural Awareness and 2SLGBTQ+ training
- A culture of equality, inclusion, and diversity including paid cultural sensitivity days
- Accidental death insurance and Wellness plan benefit
- Vacation entitlements for Part-Time and Full-Time employees
Effective November 1, 2021, the Society requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by Health Canada). Full vaccination will be required before commencing employment with the Society unless a legal exemption is obtained.
Position Summary: Work alongside the Treatment and Supportive Recovery Coordinator, Coordinator of Clinical Services and Maverick Supportive Recovery Center to provide services to Program Participants with a treatment time ranging from three to six months, allocating hours to individual treatment as well as group when needed. This individual will work within the Society’s framework and standards of recovery with a harm reduction focused model. Within this role you would operate within the competency guidelines and practice within the Standards of Practice as outlines by the British Columbia Regulated Mental Health Profession. Service delivery is based on a client centered, trauma informed and non-judgmental perspective.
Typical Duties Include:
Substance Abuse Counsellor Responsibilities
- Work in collaboration with the Coordinators at the Maverick Supportive Centre and Management to facilitate an addiction and recovery support curriculum for Program Participants.
- Provide recovery consultation and referral for Program Participants experiencing mental health/alcohol and substance use support to Program Participants and their caregivers/families.
- Help facilitate triage and screening of all individuals seeking help through the recovery program.
- Conduct risk assessments to determine type of service needed and explains the services offered, providing relevant mental health support, and recommending/referring other forms of support/community service options.
- Provide "out-patient" substance abuse counselling services to chemically dependent individuals, and their families.
- Provide one-on-one and group counselling/psychological and emotional support services to participants in the Maverick Recovery Program;
- Encourage and support Program Participants to live as fully and independently as possible.
- Participate in the assessment, goal setting and program planning for Program Participants when requested.
- Provide supervision and support to mitigate individual and program risk to ensure safety, comfort, and wellness.
- Work closely with identified community resources for each Program Participant.
- Actively seek the views of Program Participants and involve them in decision making to improve their own identity, purpose, and self-esteem.
- Complete wellness checks/room checks when required.
- Monitor and move along community members who are loitering in and around the property.
- Provide crisis intervention as required including overdose responses by ensuring immediate access to medical services and completing necessary incident reports when required.
- Complete accurate and up to date communication/case notes.
- Maintain files and statistics as per accreditation standards.
- When requested, be a member of the Society’s Performance and Quality Improvement (PQI) team.
- Ensure compliance with all Society policies and procedures.
- Other duties which may or may not be outlined within this job description.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Recognized Degree related to mental illness and alcohol/drug addiction issues.
- Certificate in Addictions Counselling required.
- Four years Addictions and Mental Health related experience required (i.e., substance misuse assessments, treatment methodologies, and intervention strategies).
- Strong ability to recognize and address difficult behaviors.
- Good communication, documentation, interpersonal and conflict management skills.
- Ability to work within a team-based environment involving multi-agency supports.
- Strong working knowledge of community resources.
- Knowledge and understanding of Indigenous culture and traditions and a demonstrated ability to work with Indigenous peoples an asset.
- Understands and maintains professional boundaries.
- Valid driver’s license, safe driving record and reliable/appropriate transportation with business use coverage.
- VAT (Vulnerability Assessment Tool) training an asset.
- Must pass an acceptable criminal record check for the vulnerable sector.
- Occupational First Aid Level 1 required.
- Readiness to complete in-house online training within the first month of employment.
- Mental Health First Aid, ASIST, and Trauma Informed Practice an asset.
- As Program Participants are allowed to have pets, it is noted that this is a pet friendly environment.
How to apply: Please submit your application with a detailed cover letter and resume with the reference “Substance Abuse Counsellor” to firstname.lastname@example.org .
The ASK Wellness Society offers assistance from an Employment Advisor. If you self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, Métis, or Inuit) and/or would like assistance with the application process, job readiness, interview readiness or tips for resume and cover letter writing, we encourage you to contact us, and you will be redirected to our Employment Advisor.
The ASK Wellness Society is dedicated to promoting diversity/multiculturalism with inclusion as one of our Core Values. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.