This long-running and well-established program seeks to deliver Social and Health Options for Persons engaged in survival-based Sex Work. In partnership with the City of Kamloops, this is done with a three-part approach of Community Development, Outreach, and Programming. In SHOP, we are rooted in harm reduction services and social justice practices. Our client-centered approach ensures people are heard, valued, and supported.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT: SHOP works to improve the health and safety of our community through crisis intervention and harm reduction strategies. The program provides education initiatives with a collaborative focus on those who live at risk and are vulnerable, through a continuum of choice and consent. By working with landlords and the Housing Outreach Team, the program further works to help bridge relationships. Opportunities are also created for supported individuals by building new relationships with businesses, neighbourhood groups, and other stakeholders.
OUTREACH: SHOP provides various outreach services and resources to individuals utilizing our services, including:
- Street and online outreach services
- Work-Safe practice and education
- Anonymous access to harm reduction supplies, condoms and lubrication
- Red Light Alerts (links to red light alert)
- Access to health and housing resources
- Access to Health Navigation for Blood-Borne Infections, as well as HIV/HEP C information
- Advocacy and education
- Access to clothing room, toiletries, shower facilities, laundry facilities, and internet use
- Individualized supportive counselling
- Support for families of sex workers
PROGRAMMING: ASK Wellness Society Street Outreach and SHOP Outreach collaborate to provide outreach and overdose prevention services to the Kamloops community. This includes support sessions, where SHOP staff work closely with community resources and are strong advocates for Sex Workers. We can help guide you to achieve your goals. A 24-hour staffed Safe Suite exists as an emergency short-term shelter for those in crisis. Arguably, the most well-known service that SHOP provides is the Feast and Health Connect, which takes place every Thursday from 1:00pm to 3:00pm. A nutritious meal and access to staff and street nurses are made available to sex workers.
The SHOP office is located at 433 Tranquille Rd.
Contact: Call Melissa, 250-320-1667 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org