Reports To: Director of Resources and Property Management
Wage Range: $16.00 to $18.00 for Common Area Cleaning $19.00 to $21.00 for Restoration Cleaning *Wages commensurate with experience
Permanent Full-Time/Temporary Full-Time (over three months) who work more than 30 hours per week are eligible for three weeks paid vacation in the first year and they may be taken after a successful probationary period. In the second year, this entitlement increases to four weeks. In the fifth year, the entitlement increases to five weeks. Each year after five years the entitlement is five weeks plus one day for every subsequent year to a maximum of six weeks. Unless otherwise negotiated. Permanent Part-Time/Temporary Part-Time employees (over 22.5 hours per week on contracts more than three months) vacation entitlements accrue each payroll according to Employment Standards Act BC (as amended). Casual/On-Call/Permanent Part-Time/Temporary Part-Time employees (under 22.5 hours per week or on contracts less than three months) vacation entitlements are paid out each payroll according to Employment Standards Act BC (as amended).
Permanent Full-Time employees are eligible for full health benefits (minimum 30 hours per week). Temporary Full-Time employees for a term longer than three months are eligible for full health benefits (minimum 30 hours per week). These hours can be fulfilled through a variety of permanent positions. Part-Time Employees are eligible to take part in our Health Care Spending Account which provides a tax-free partial reimbursement for eligible healthcare expenses up to the bi-annual maximum for Permanent Part-Time, Temporary Part-Time and Caretakers through a third-party administrator. Permanent Full-Time and Permanent Part-Time employees have access to the Wellness Plan benefit. All employees have access to two paid culturally sensitive days, Annual Retreats, Training, and ASK Staff Social Events.
What is Casual/On-Call?
Casual/On-Call means there are no guaranteed hours and work requirements may vary to a maximum of 37.5hours per week. Casual/On-Call is a great way for you to get to know us and for us to get to know you. It is also a gateway for future permanent positions within the Society. There are no rules with respect to declining shifts that do not work with your schedule that may result in removal from the casual/on-call list.
Who is the ASK Wellness Society?
The ASK Wellness Society is a not for profit organization that supports individuals within the BC Region with opportunities and the resources to change their current situation. It’s about reaching out to those people who are homeless and battling addictions, helping them find housing and medical care, addressing their addictions, stabilizing mental health issues and, ultimately, providing them with the skills to re-enter the work force. The ASK Wellness Society administers an unconditional sense of hope to those who are convinced they are incapable of ever achieving a stable and meaningful life.
Purpose and Function
Work in collaboration with the Property Services Cleaning Department to maintain cleanliness. Within the Common Area Cleaning role, you will be ensuring cleanliness of office spaces. Within the Restoration Cleaning role, you will be cleaning client suites, you may encounter harm reduction supplies, bed bugs and hoarding scenarios within client suites. Building and suite clean-ups which may or may not include: windows and doors, wiping down and disinfecting all surfaces and desks, handles, filing cabinets, table tops, cupboards, countertops, mirrors, furniture, walls and baseboards, removal of trash, sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, cleaning of ovens, fridges and bathrooms. Service delivery is based on a client centered, non-judgmental perspective.
Common Area Cleaning Specific Responsibilities
- Dust furniture, equipment, partitions, walls, etc.;
- Clean and disinfect sinks, countertops, floors, toilet, tables, chairs, refrigerators, microwaves, etc. in restrooms, client rooms;
- Sweep, mop, vacuum and/or hand scrub floors using brooms, mops and vacuum cleaners;
- Empty trash cans and recyclables into disposal areas;
- Wipe down walls using wall mop, doors, wall hangings, and baseboards, etc.;
- Clean windows, glass partitions, or mirrors, using soapy water or other cleaners, sponges, or squeegees;
- Maintaining and upkeep of all cleaning equipment, supplies and products;
- Ensuring safe and sanitary storage and care of products;
- Keeping all spaces neat and tidy;
- Reporting repairs and replacements when encountered on the job;
- When necessary, be trained to be the first to respond to an overdose situation with on the spot overdose response and support and prepared to work calmly and together with your team, paramedics and police in crisis situations;
- Ensure compliance with all WorkSafe/Occupational Health and Safety Guidelines supportive standards, Society policies and procedures;
- Other duties which may or may not be outlined in this job description.
Restoration Cleaning Specific Responsibilities
- Apply responsibilities outlined in Common Area Cleaning Specific Responsibilities;
- Clean/restore client suites/homes due to client-caused damage, floods or fire;
- Other duties which may or may not be outlined in this job description.
- Assist team to maintain complete documentation, verbal and written reports, statistics and records in files and on ShareVision database;
- Maintain files and documentation to the COA Standard and when requested, be a member of the COA’s Performance and Quality Improvement team in which you will encourage the organization to use data to identify areas of needed improvement and implement improvement plans.
Qualifications and Suitability
- Prior cleaning/housekeeping experience an asset;
- Must be willing to work in units with bed bugs/hoarding/harm reduction present in positive and confident manner (training can be provided);
- Must have good time management skills within a fast-paced, high intensity work environment;
- Experience with mental health/addiction and homelessness issues an asset;
- Physical demands include walking and standing, climbing, bending, kneeling, push and pull objects, lift and move objects, repetitive bending and lifting/arm movements.
- Ability to work as a team member in a case management setting involving multi-agency supports;
- Understands and maintains clientele/worker boundaries;
- Excellent communication, writing, documentation and organizational skills;
- Must pass criminal record check for vulnerable sector and reference screening;
- WHMIS certification required;
- Must have access to vehicle in good working condition and possess valid driver’s license with relevant insurance;
- In-house Violence Prevention, Cultural Awareness Training, and 2sLGBTQ+ Training provided;
- As clients are allowed to have pets, it is noted that this is a pet friendly environment.
The ASK Wellness Society is dedicated to promoting diversity/multiculturalism with inclusion as one of our Core Values. We are fully focused on equality and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.
Interview Dates: To be discussed
Send cover letter and resume to: Careers@askwellness.ca
Please Reference Position: Casual/On-Call Property Services Cleaner
Attention: Human Resources
Note: This description may be amended at any time in response to operational and funding requirements and may include other duties not outlined here.