Reports To: Treatment and Supportive Recovery Coordinator | Head Cook (Treatment and Supportive Recovery)
Term: Permanent Part-Time (18 hours per week)
Hours: Friday 8:00am to 2:00pm
Saturday and Sunday 10:00am to 4:00pm
Wage Range: $17.00 to $19.00 commensurate with experience
Permanent Part-Time/Temporary Part-Time employees (22.5 hours per week and over on contracts more than three months) vacation entitlements accrue each payroll according to Employment Standards Act BC (as amended). Casual/On-Call/Permanent Part-Time/Temporary Part-Time employees (under 22.5 hours per week or on contracts less than three months) vacation entitlements are paid out each payroll according to Employment Standards Act BC (as amended).
Part-Time Employees are eligible to take part in our Health Care Spending Account which provides a tax-free partial reimbursement for eligible healthcare expenses up to the bi-annual maximum for Permanent Part-Time, Temporary Part-Time and Caretakers through a third-party administrator. Permanent Full-Time and Permanent Part-Time employees have access to the Wellness Plan benefit. All employees have access to two paid culturally sensitive days, Annual Retreats, Training, and ASK Staff Social Events.
Who is the ASK Wellness Society?
The ASK Wellness Society is a not-for-profit organization that supports individuals within the BC Region with opportunities and the resources to change their current situation. It is about reaching out to those people who are homeless and battling addictions, helping them find housing and medical care, addressing their addictions, stabilizing mental health issues and, ultimately, providing them with the skills to re-enter the work force. The ASK Wellness Society administers an unconditional sense of hope to those who are convinced they are incapable of ever achieving a stable and meaningful life.
Purpose and Function
The Program Kitchen Helper will work alongside the Head Cook at an excellent level. The Program Kitchen Helper will assist in the preparation and presentation of food and is responsible for the service and dishwashing area (cleanliness of all dishes, silverware, and glassware). Service delivery is based on a client centered, non-judgmental perspective.
- Assist with the planning around meal preparation including but not limited to daily kitchen activities, aiding with menu preparation, ensuring food quality and freshness, and monitoring/ordering;
- Assist with utilizing Food Bank deliveries and shopping for kitchen supplies;
- Assist with cleaning of kitchen and kitchen equipment;
- Set up and run the dishwashing operation. Clean pots and pans as needed;
- Ensures a first-in, first-out food rotation system and verify all food products are properly dated and organized for quality assurance;
- Assist the Head Cook with managing food and product ordering by keeping detailed records and minimizing waste, plus works with existing systems to improve waste reduction and manage budgetary concerns;
- Verify food storage units all meet standards and are consistently well-managed;
- Contribute to the protection of Program Participants from abuse, and support Participants when they are in distress;
- Help maintain a clean and organized workspace by doing light housekeeping in the common area;
- Check temperatures and maintain sanitation equipment;
- Replace paper towels and clean hand sink;
- Stock food on shelves and in refrigerator;
- Report to Head Cook any problems in the kitchen or dining room;
- Take out all garbage when necessary;
- Clean the kitchen area, including floors, as needed;
- Monitor emergencies that take place in the kitchen such as medical or mental health assistance and complete necessary incident reports;
- When necessary, be trained to be the first to respond to an overdose situation with on-the-spot overdose response and support;
- Other duties which may or may not be listed within this job description;
- Ensure compliance with all ASK supportive standards, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain complete documentation, statistics, and records in files and on ShareVision database;
- Assist team with required verbal and written reports, case notes, letters, memoranda, and year end reports;
- Maintain files and documentation to the COA Standard;
- When requested, be a member of the COA’s Performance and Quality Improvement team in which you will encourage the organization to use data to identify areas of needed improvement and implement improvement plans in support of achieving performance targets, program goals, client satisfaction, and positive client outcomes.
Qualifications and Suitability
- Kitchen prep/cooking experience an asset;
- Prior cleaning experience an asset;
- Knowledge and understanding of Indigenous culture and traditions and a demonstrated ability to work with Indigenous peoples an asset;
- Knowledge and experience of food hygiene and safe kitchen practices including the use of commercial equipment and tools an asset;
- Understands and maintains clientele/worker boundaries;
- Experience working with adults with mental illness and substance abuse disorders an asset;
- Communication, writing, documentation, and organizational skills;
- Must pass criminal record check for vulnerable sector and reference screening;
- WHIMS, Food Safe Level 1, and First Aid required;
- In-house Violence Prevention, Cultural Awareness Training, and 2sLGBTQ+ Training provided.
The ASK Wellness Society is dedicated to promoting diversity/multiculturalism with inclusion as one of our Core Values. We are fully focused on equality and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age.
We invite applicants to self-identify as First Nation, Métis, or Inuit within cover letters and/or resumes.
The ASK Wellness Society now offers assistance from an Employment Advisor. If you self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) and would like assistance with the application process, job readiness, interview readiness or tips for resume and cover letter writing, send your questions via email to email@example.com to be redirected to the Employment Advisor.
Closing Date: This position will remain open until the successful candidate is chosen.
Send cover letter and resume to: Careers@askwellness.ca
Please Reference Position: Program Kitchen Helper (Supportive Recovery Centre)
Attention: People Experience