Program and Site Location: 24 Hour Supportive Housing, 3240 Skaha Lake Road
Reports To: Coordinator of Supportive Housing
Term: Permanent Full-Time (37.5 hours per week)
Hours: Monday to Friday 10:00am to 6:00pm with ½ hour paid break
Wage Range: $24.59 up to $28.32 based on education and related experience.
The ASK Wellness Society is an Accredited, not-for-profit organization. Through the generous support of funders, we assist those who are marginalized and at-risk to strengthen the communities we serve (Kamloops, Merritt, and Penticton). We provide housing and support to those who are facing or at risk of homelessness and support those who may use substances, or who require mental health supports, harm reduction, or health education. Ultimately, we aim to provide the skills to re-enter the workforce.
What We Offer:
- Competitive benefits including but not limited to dental, vision, physiotherapy, massage, and fertility upon eligibility
- Municipal Pension Plan upon eligibility
- On-site training and development opportunities such as Violence Prevention, Cultural Awareness and 2SLGBTQ+ training
- A culture of equality, inclusion, and diversity including paid cultural sensitivity days
- Accidental death insurance and Wellness plan benefit
- Vacation entitlements for Part-Time and Full-Time employees
Effective November 1, 2021, the Society requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by Health Canada). Full vaccination will be required before commencing employment with the Society unless a legal exemption is obtained.
Position Summary: As the Head Cook you will direct and control all culinary operations within the 24-Hour Supportive Housing Building at an excellent level while maintaining and abiding by all standards, policies and/or procedures set forth by the ASK Wellness Society and any applicable government agencies. Within this role you would maintain high morale within your team and execute excellence in food quality, food preparation, cleanliness and the ongoing skills of your crew and management within this camp-like kitchen. This position will have interaction with the marginalized population, service is based on a client centered, trauma informed and non-judgmental perspective.
Typical Duties Include:
Head Cook Responsibilities
- Lead kitchen to prepare and cook large quantities of food for 50+ seven days a week.
- Plan menus that are varied, nutritionally balanced, appetizing and take advantage of foods in season and local availability.
- Train, develop and motivate Employees to meet and exceed established food preparation standards on a consistent basis.
- Provide guidance to Employees and Tenant Support Workers with respect to food service/preparation, and cleaning.
- Full kitchen execution and managing quality assurance.
- Ensures a first-in, first-out food rotation system and verify all food products are properly dated and organized for quality assurance.
- Regularly monitor and inspect kitchen equipment, report any problems or inconsistencies to the Coordinator of Supportive Housing, Nx̌astwilxtn and Property Services and make recommendations for repair or procurement.
- Consult with the People Experience Department on any Employee relation matter such as Performance Management, Progressive Discipline etc.
- Project annual food, labour and other costs/monitor actual financial results and take corrective action, as necessary to ensure that targets are met.
- Ensures high standards of hygiene, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times as per industry standards.
- Other duties which may or may not be outlines in this job description.
- Provide ongoing feedback, support, training and conduct monthly supervisory check ins, three-month reviews and annual Performance Reviews as directed.
- Review and submit all staffing time sheets, and time off requests.
- In collaboration with the People Experience Department, screen applications, schedule interviews, and conduct reference questionnaires.
- When requested, be a member of the Society’s Performance and Quality Improvement (PQI) team.
- Ensure compliance with all Society policies and procedures.
- Other duties which may or may not be outlined within this job description.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Minimum of five years cooking experience (at least three must be in a Head Cook capacity).
- Red Seal certification or formal culinary training is considered an asset.
- Experience with projection and management of inventory, food cost, labour, variable costs, prep charts etc.
- Experience leading a Kitchen
- Knowledge of HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points) required.
- Must be capable of heavy lifting and moving stock (up to 30 lbs.).
- Understands and maintains professional boundaries.
- Must pass an acceptable criminal record check for the vulnerable sector.
- Occupational First Aid Level 1/Food Safe Level 1 and WHMIS required.
- Readiness to complete in-house online training within the first month of employment.
- As Program Participants are allowed to have pets, it is noted that this is a pet friendly environment.
How to apply: As there are multiple positions within this site, please ensure you reference the position “Head Cook, Penticton” when applying. To apply, please submit your application with a detailed cover letter and resume no later than February 15, 2023, at noon with interviews to follow. You may also apply directly online at https://askwellness.ca/careers/
The ASK Wellness Society offers assistance from an Employment Advisor.
If you self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, Métis, or Inuit) and/or would like assistance with the application process, job readiness, interview readiness or tips for resume and cover letter writing, we encourage you to contact us, and you will be redirected to our Employment Advisor.
The ASK Wellness Society is dedicated to promoting diversity/multiculturalism with inclusion as one of our Core Values. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.