Program and Site Location: 24 Hour Supportive Housing, Mission Flats/Spero House
Reports To: Head Cook, Mission Flats/Spero House
Wage Range: $17.00 to $20.00 commensurate with experience.
The ASK Wellness Society is an Accredited not-for-profit organization. Through the generous support of funders, we assist those who are marginalized and at-risk to strengthen the communities we serve (Kamloops, Merritt and Penticton). We provide housing and support to those who are facing homelessness/at risk of homelessness and support those who may use substances, mental health challenges, harm reduction, health education and ultimately provide the skills to re-enter the workforce.
What We Offer:
- Competitive benefits including but not limited to dental, vision, physiotherapy, massage, and fertility upon eligibility
- Municipal Pension Plan upon eligibility
- On-site training and development opportunities such as Violence Prevention, Cultural Awareness and 2SLGBTQ+ training
- A culture of equality, inclusion, and diversity including paid cultural sensitivity days
- Accidental death insurance and Wellness plan benefit
- Vacation entitlements for Part-Time and Full-Time employees
Effective November 1, 2021, the Society requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by Health Canada). Full vaccination will be required before commencing employment with the Society unless a legal exemption is obtained.
What is Casual/On-Call? Casual/On-Call means there are no guaranteed hours and work requirements may vary to a maximum of 37.5hours per week. Casual/On-Call is a great way for you to get to know us and for us to get to know you. It is also a gateway for future permanent positions within the Society. There are no rules with respect to declining shifts that do not work with your schedule that may result in removal from the casual/on-call list.
Position Summary: Work alongside the Head Cook of Spero which is a 24/7 Supportive Housing Facility helping the marginalized community at an excellent level while maintaining and abiding by all standards, policies and/or procedures set forth by the ASK Wellness Society and any applicable government agencies. In partnership with the Head Cook manage daily kitchen activities, aiding with menu preparation, ensuring food quality and freshness, and monitoring ordering and stocking. Service delivery is based on a client centered, non-judgmental perspective.
Typical Duties Include:
General Cook Responsibilities
- Prepare and cook large quantities of food for 50+ clients.
- Assist with meal prep and service and supervise kitchen team in Head Chef absence.
- Provide guidance to other kitchen Employees and Tenant Support Workers with respect to food preparation, service and cleaning.
- Assist with organizing kitchen stock and ingredients.
- Ensures a first-in, first-out food rotation system and verify all food products are properly dated and organized for quality assurance.
- Keep cooking stations stocked, especially before and during prime operation hours.
- Assist with the hiring and training of new Employees to kitchen standards.
- Assist the Head Chef with managing food and product ordering by keeping detailed records and minimizing waste, plus works with existing systems to improve waste reduction and manage budgetary concerns.
- Work with Head Chef to maintain kitchen organization, staff ability, and training opportunities.
- Verify food storage units all meet standards and are consistently well-managed.
- Assist Head Chef with menu creation.
- Evaluate food products to ensure that quality standards are consistently attained.
- Regularly monitor and inspect kitchen equipment, report any problems or inconsistencies to the Head Chef and make recommendations for repair or procurement.
- Ensure high standards of hygiene, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times.
- Be prepared to work calmly and together with your team, paramedics, and police in crisis situations.
- Ensure Limitation of Service Notices are completed and current.
- Other duties which may or may not be listed within this job description.
- Ensure compliance with all Society standards, policies, and procedures.
- When requested, be a member of the Society’s Performance and Quality Improvement (PQI) team.
- Ensure compliance with all Society policies and procedures.
- Other duties which may or may not be outlined within this job description.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Minimum of two years prep/cooking experience an asset.
- Formal culinary training is considered an asset.
- Advanced knowledge of food hygiene and safe kitchen practices including the use of commercial equipment and tools.
- Knowledge of HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points) an asset.
- Level 1 First Aid and WHMIS required.
- Must pass criminal record check for vulnerable sector and reference screening.
- In-house Violence Prevention, Cultural Awareness Training, and 2sLGBTQ+ Training provided.
- As clients are allowed to have pets, it is noted that this is a pet friendly environment.
As clients are allowed to have pets, it is noted that this is a pet friendly environment
How to apply: Please submit your application with a detailed cover letter and resume with the reference “General Cook, Kamloops” to email@example.com by 9:00am on April 1, 2022. Interviews will be on April 6, 2022. This position will remain open until the successful candidate is found. You may also apply directly apply online at https://askwellness.ca/careers/
The ASK Wellness Society offers assistance from an Employment Advisor.
If you self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, Métis, or Inuit) and/or would like assistance with the application process, job readiness, interview readiness or tips for resume and cover letter writing, we encourage you to contact us, and you will be redirected to our Employment Advisor.
The ASK Wellness Society is dedicated to promoting diversity/multiculturalism with inclusion as one of our Core Values. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.